Last Friday was my last day working in the London office for the next six months. I am now working for the same company in Oxford until September, which is great as it means I can spend more time at home and with my family. 🙂
I will miss London though and my last day seemed like a good excuse to take in some cupcakes (the normal rather than healthy variety!), but as I was making these before work I needed something quick. I decided to experiment a bit by putting a raspberry filled with jam in each cupcake – I have to say it worked pretty well – Kind of a (slightly) healthier light and fluffy cupcake take on a doughnut…
They went so quickly I didn’t get a chance to take a picture of one cut in half with the raspberry oozing out… I guess I’ll just have to make another batch!
Here is the recipe in case you are interested! It is super easy… These were very lemony, but then I love lemon. If you don’t like your lemon flavour too strong maybe only use 1-2 lemons. (This recipe makes about 12 cupcakes)
3/4 cup sugar
Zest and juice of 3 lemons
1 cup all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
110g unsalted butter, softened
2 tablespoons milk
About 14 raspberries
3 tablespoons Raspberry Jam
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Grease a muffin tray with cupcake cases (I actually made 12)
- In a large bowl, rub together lemon zest and sugar until you can smell the lemony aroma.
- Mix together flour, baking powder, and salt; set aside.
- Add the melted butter to the bowl with the sugar and zest and whisk for a couple of minutes until light and fluffy. Add the egg and whisk until well combined and aerated. Stir in the milk and then the dry ingredients until just combined.
- Stir in the lemon juice.
- Fill each mini cupcake case cup 3/4 full with batter. Place one raspberry, filled with a teaspoon of raspberry jam, open side down, in the middle of each cup.
- Bake until golden and a cake tester inserted into a cupcake comes out clean – probably about 15 minutes. Then leave to cool.
- ENJOY 🙂