We had quite a few left over bananas and thought making banana bread might serve the double purpose of avoiding waste and encouraging Daddy to eat. I thought it would be nice to make it gluten and dairy free so experimented a bit with the recipe. I also added quite a bit of apple and dates so it is mostly fruit! It actually turned out better than i’d expected… and it was at least tasty enough to be devoured in one sitting!
I have to admit I was a bit jealous of Daddy’s lunch today…
Here’s the recipe:
8 medium bananas (mashed)
2 apples (peeled and cored)
1 cooking apple (peeled and cored)
¼ cup chopped dates
Juice of 1 Lemon
1 cup golden caster sugar
1tsp Vanilla or Lemon Essence
150g dark cooking chocolate
¼ cup sunflower oil
2 cups rice flour
Pinch of salt
1. Preheat the oven to about 180 degrees C and grease and line 7inch bread tins.
2. Stew the apples with the dates and lemon juice – I did this by boiling the apples and dates in the lemon juice on the stove for about 10 minutes. Then set aside to cool.
3. Beat the eggs until light and fluffy then add the sugar and continue beating. Then add the apple mixture, mashed bananas, sunflower oil, vanilla or lemon essence and mix well.
4. Stir in the rice flour and salt.
5. Add the chocolate to the mixture and pour into the prepared tins and bake for 35-45mins.
6. Leave to cool in the tin for about ten minutes before turning out onto a wire rack.
7. ENJOY… warm or cool depending on your patience level – personally I think it is slightly better cold.
I might finally be learning the secret to cooking with my family – making two of anything if you want some left after the first sitting 😉
I’m looking forward to having a piece of the second loaf later!